Thompson House

The Thompson House was built by Johnson Thompson in 1882 in the Queen Ann style of architecture. Johnson Thompson and his wife Eliza Taylor, daughter of Deputy Chief Richard Taylor, built the house as a graduation present for their youngest son Dr. Joseph Thompson. After Dr. Thompson died in 1935, the County Health Dept. used the house until the early 1970s, after which the house was meant to be demolished. The house was rescued and restored with the help of the Cherokee County Civic Cultural Center and many members of the community and has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1993. The Thompson family moved to Tahlequah from Vinita in 1876. The Thompson House was built in 1882 in the Queen Ann style of architecture. After Dr. Thompson died in 1935, rooms at the Thompson House were rented by a realtor company until 1940 and the County Health Department used the house until the early 1970s. The house was restored by 1989 with the help of Beth Herrington and many other members of the community and has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1993.